Tanjung Bira part 5: 30 hours without electricity in Amatoa resort 

The wind had somehow developed into a storm by night time. The wind was so ferocious it literally bang on our door. At around midnight the electricity was cut out. Turned out the hotel genset was broken and we were stranded with no electricity for 30 hours!

The wind finally stopped blowing  around 8 in the morning and the sea was calmer. Amatoa Resort had direct access to the sea. Seeing how the sea is calmer and at low tide it didn’t look so scary hubby and I decided to take a dip.

We don’t have water in our room anyway so the day was spent all day swimming in the sea, at the pool and sunbathing.

Ignore Hubby’s expression on the picture. Defaultnya nyureng…kalau di sayang2 baru manis 🙂

We walked for lunch to Warung Bambu (I read some good reviews here. The food was good and the portion is big). We were told that the whole Bulukumba didn’t have electricity as the storm last night had hit some of the power pole. It’d take a long time to fix. (Turned out we had electricity out for 30hours!)

It was extremely disappointing that the resort didn’t have a generator ready. At night I could see some bungalows in liukang island had some lights which meant even they had some generators  The hotel staff brought us supply of water with buckets so we can have a shower. Shame that I also had to ask for it instead of having the staff offered to do so.

Half of the guests checked out that day and new flock of guests were coming in. The new batch was a group of youngsters from Makasar who traveled using a mini pariwisata van. These ganks were pretty adventurous; they went straight to have a dip in the ocean as soon as they checked in.
It was so hot during the day and I had trouble sleeping when the night comes with no aircon. Around 11pm I could hear the pariwisata gank just arrived at the hotel and they must have flocked near the swimming pool happily chattering and laughing. It went on and on until suddenly we had a huge lightning and thunderstorm twice in a row and after that a string wind came. The noise suddenly died down hahahahaha…… These kids must have so got scared and retreated to their room. The good thing about the storm was they also brought the wind and temperature went down. I actually slept better after the storm came.

More photo session

Balcony from Bungalow next to the swimming pool

The stairs leading to the ocean

The electricity was back only the next day at around 8am. When we checked out the staff offered us to use the shower in the suite room as it’d take few hours to have the water running properly again in all the rooms. The manager in charge also gave us a discount for the room rate.

Lesson learnt I felt glad that we always pack a torch with us whenever we travel. Even better if we had packed our solar charger too. And lastly always count all your blessings. It was that easy to turn holiday sour but we were in a nice resort, nice beach, together with the people we loved the most and we didn’t have to work. Nothing beats that!